NEW SERIES: A HEALTHY HEART
Above all else, guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life
Much has been done in recent years to alert people to the importance of caring for our hearts as physical organs, particularly in regard to diet and exercise. And the symptoms of seriously poor heart-health such as chest pains, shortness of breath, excessive sweating or changes in skin colour, are recognised by the population at large.
In the same way, we need to monitor the health of our hearts in the biblical sense; just as chest pains can be an indicator of a serious physical heart problem, so what flows into our thoughts, out of our mouths, and through our actions shows the condition of the inner man.
For it is from within, out of a person’s heart, that evil thoughts come
– sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, greed, malice, deceit,
lewdness, envy, slander, arrogance and folly.
All these evils come from inside and defile a person.
and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil.
For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
Jesus says this is a lie: these diseased patterns of thinking, speaking and acting are no longer the real person, they are not the believer's true identity; for we have been bought with a price, translated from the kingdom of darkness to the Kingdom of God, and made brand new. However, we do need to take steps to deal with these things which stop us walking in our new identity.
We’ll explore some of these specific symptoms of heart-disease in later posts, but until then let's take time for a 'Healthy-Heart Check'; the first step to health is recognising a problem.......
- Ask the Lord to show you any thoughts, words and actions which reveal some heart disease.
- Confess these to Him aloud. Aloud is important – to deal effectively with sin we have to name it, and thereby face up to it.
- Receive His forgiveness & cleansing [1 John 1:9] .
- Ask the Holy Spirit to begin to flow out of you with the opposite trait [John 7:38]. (This is not about trying harder, but allowing His life to flow.)
I have been forgiven for….
I have been given a new heart and spirit; I have a natural inclination to do right.
The Holy Spirit flows out of me with….
Most readers seem to prefer to get in touch direct, using the 'Get in Touch!' buttons
- please do, I love hearing from people......
Others like the facility to publicly comment under posts, so the public comment option is also available (bottom left).
- please feel free to add your thoughts
Click to read more Blog posts or to find out more about Rhythms of Grace
[**Photo credit: Cathal Mac an Bheatha @ Unsplash, with thanks]