THIS SERIES: THE POWER OF THANKSGIVING
rooted and built up in Him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught,
and overflowing with thankfulness.
Alive & Grateful is a 30 day exploration of appreciation, arranged in bite-sized sections. The short length of each section, and the book as a whole, is deliberate; most of us have too much going on in our lives to be able to absorb lengthy explanations, and can easily get lost in a mound of suggestions, ending up putting nothing into practice. This book is intended to provide a workable tool to aid a steady life-style change.
You may be employed, retired, unemployed, self-employed or a full time home-body; today’s challenge is about your labour, or non-leisure time, whether it is spent cleaning the house, at an office desk, or flying an aeroplane.
Which aspects of your work are you grateful for? Perhaps it’s that you have the necessary health and strength for today’s task, or perhaps you are just grateful to have paid employment? Maybe the starting or ending times fit in with your family life, or you love working in the comfort of your own home? Perhaps you enjoy the camaraderie of the office, or appreciate the understanding of your employer; alternatively, it might be the solitude of a particular occupation which makes your heart sing?
The way we spend our days can be the source of much grumbling – especially on Monday mornings! Now is the time to buck the trend, SWAP* the negatives, and start to find things to appreciate.
PASS IT ON: Whatever you do today, work at it with all your heart.
- Each evening, read the next day’s section and spend a few minutes meditating on it, allowing it to ‘percolate’ overnight; then quickly reread the following morning.
- During the day look for ten examples, where possible, of the particular blessing category. Take time to do a *GRATITUDE SWAP (see Alive & Grateful 1).
- In the evening write down everything you have appreciated that day. There is, of course, scope for real creativity in recording these, if that appeals to you.
- Each daily section contains practical suggestions for the outworking of the GRATITUDE SWAP. Most are things to do in the course of an ordinary day, but some require a little more time commitment. If you haven’t sufficient time available on the day in question, diary it in for another day.
Most readers seem to prefer to get in touch direct, using the 'Get in Touch!' buttons
- please do, I love hearing from people......
Others like the facility to publicly comment under posts, so the public comment option is also available (bottom left).
- please feel free to add your thoughts
Click to read more Blog posts or to find out more about Rhythms of Grace