NEW SERIES: SLOW DOWN & CELEBRATE THE AUTUMN
And of course, with the Fall comes the start of the headlong rush towards Christmas. Already local shops are displaying their Christmas wares and encouraging us to fix our attention on a season not yet here. I love Christmas, and find some advance planning and preparation really helpful, however, we have to resist the enticement to focus on a future time, at the expense of the present.
‘to do’ lists—mental or written—will clamour for attention, giving a myriad reasons why putting the brakes on is impossible. But perhaps we can, just once a day, slow down and savour the present…
WHY NOT TRY SOME OF THE FOLLOWING...
1. Set off for work early, and enjoy a more leisurely journey. Ask the Lord to give you eyes to see the blessings which line your route. And then celebrate…
2. Take time to savour meals. Rather than eating on the run, set the table, choose some seasonal foods and really appreciate what you are eating.
3. Use creative inspiration to create moments that are special, with an autumnal flavour.
4. Collect the ‘treasures’ of the fall for a seasonal display or a table decoration. Print out some seasonal quotations (see Thursday’s blog), to frame and add to your arrangement.
5. Employ your phone camera. Look out for ‘7 Autumn Moments’ to record, inside or out. And then send them to me... (Details below)
6. Our slow moments can become more than pleasurable—they can become sacred, if we go beyond the activity to engage with the One, ‘who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment’ [1 Timothy 6:17]. In slowing down, take time to get very quiet inside, and turn your heart of affection towards the Lord; then ask Him to come and fill this moment with His presence.
This Thursday: More ideas for celebrating autumn
Next week: Be inspired by the Jewish ‘Feast of Tabernacles’
Monday 21st October: Enjoy a Seasonal Retreat
7 AUTUMN MOMENTS
Get your cameras out and record 7 snapshots of autumn: inside or out; town or country—whatever says ‘autumn’ to you.
Then send them to me to share on the website at:firstname.lastname@example.org
Please mark the subject as 'Autumn Moments'
Most readers seem to prefer to get in touch direct, using the 'Get in Touch!' buttons
- please do, I love hearing from people......
Others like the facility to publicly comment under posts, so the public comment option is also available (bottom left).
- please feel free to add your thoughts