HOW YOU CAN KICK THE WORRY HABIT
WHEN TALKING TO YOURSELF IS THE ONLY SANE THING TO DO
King David was very clear about how he dealt with his soul: firmly and consistently—and yes, he talked to himself!
Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Saviour and my God.
Praise the LORD, my soul, and forget not all His benefits….
Surely I have calmed and quieted my soul, Like a weaned child with his mother;
Like a weaned child is my soul within me.
[Psalm 131:2 NKJV]
5 STEPS TO REPLACE WORRY WITH HOPE
1. The opposite of worry is hope—the confident expectation of good. Set aside a specific time every day, about 30 minutes, for the specific purpose of breaking the worry-habit and replacing it with a habit of hope.
2. Arm yourself with a ‘Hope’ notebook, and two pens, one black & one coloured. Whenever you are starting to worry, write the worry down in the notebook with the black pen. Leave plenty of space underneath each entry for a response. Then say (aloud—if no one is nearby!) to your soul—“I’m not thinking about that issue now—I will deal with it during today’s ‘Hope Session’."
3. Every time that worry creeps into your consciousness, refuse it in the same way, and instead turn your thoughts to giving praise to the Lord, thanking Him that He has got you covered, and will show you an answer for all your worries.
4. Then during your Hope Session, in the space under each worry, begin to write out the truth in coloured pen. (The coloured pen makes these truths stand out from the lies.) The truth is what God says in His word about your concern. You can find out by doing an internet search on ‘What does the Bible say about…?’, or Joyce Meyer has written a helpful little book listing Bible verses for various issues, details below.
5. Finally, speak these truths aloud over your soul, saying, ‘I am not concerned about… because…’
Continue speaking these truths daily, until like David, you can say that your soul is like ‘a weaned child’—in other words, it is quiet and at peace, not constantly clamouring for attention.
Worry is the undisciplined action of our souls—our minds, wills & emotions—and many of us live at the mercy of our souls, rather than living from our spirits, which are filled with His Spirit.
Click to Tweet
THE SECRET POWER OF SPEAKING GOD'S WORD by JOYCE MEYER
New York Times bestselling author, Joyce Meyer, teaches readers how to create change in their lives and receive God's blessings, through powerful Scriptures covering over 50 topics, such as families, health, finances, protection and the mind. (Full list of contents can be viewed in the 'Look Inside' function). The Secret Power of Speaking God's Word can be purchased from Amazon* by clicking the image opposite.
Most readers seem to prefer to get in touch direct, using the 'Get in Touch!' buttons
- please do, I love hearing from people......
Others like the facility to publicly comment under posts, so the public comment option is also available (bottom left).
- please feel free to add your thoughts
Click to read more Blog posts or to find out more about Rhythms of Grace
[**Photo credit: Aaron Burden @ Unsplash, with thanks]